is a recognized authority on loudspeaker system design and testing.
He has Designed
several High end loudspeaker systems for both private CUSTOM DESIGNS and COMMERCIAL clients .
Developed Reference Speaker monitors for The Decca Record Company ( England) whilst working in their Audio research and development Laboratory , the ABC Australian Broadcasting Company Television Australia A/V Studios and Fm Broadcast studio monitors, Channel 7 (Australia) audio -video editing room monitors .
Developed High definition Peerless Speaker Kits ,subwoofer and Tweeter drivers for Audio and Home Theatre for WES components (Australia ) .
Here is a brief description of the services and facilities available at SSS and a discussion of our design philosophy.
SEE , EQUIPMENT PHOTOS
Loudspeaker System &
We provide general engineering design, prototyping, and test and evaluation services in audio and acoustics with special emphasis on loudspeaker systems design. Services provided include: Loudspeaker system design, test and evaluation
- Active and passive crossover network design
- Loudspeaker and crossover system prototyping
- Driver testing, evaluation and specification
- Diagnostic re-engineering of existing designs
- Listening room analysis and equalization
- General analogue circuit design and prototyping
- Mechanical design services
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT
Below is a partial list of facilities and equipment we have to support our services: In-house Free Air test facility
- LMS 4.0 3.70 (Loudspeaker Speaker Measuring System ) in dedicated computer system
Full driver thiel &small measurements driver frequency and Impedance measurements
- LEAP 5.00 4.60 (Loudspeaker Enclosure Analysis Program )
Professional state of the art custom software for loudspeaker system
and crossover design with 3D driver and enclosure refraction analysis
- FILTER SHOP 3.3800 Professional Digital and Analogue Design program (Linearx )
- Sound Easy 7.0 Custom software for loudspeaker system
and crossover design with FEM analysis
- Lsp CAD5.25
Pro Custom software for loudspeaker system and crossover design with Filter Functions
- Protel 99 SE PCB Design Circuit Design Analysis and drafting software
- Design CAD 3000 3D 3D Design Analysis and drafting software SPICE for circuit analysis and design
- Laboratory grade microphones with custom preamp
- Real time low noise evaluation listening environment
- IEC Standard Test Baffles
- A full compliment of Analogue /Digital/Video test equipment
- Hewlett Packard
332A Noise & Distortion analyser
- Hewlett Packard 222A Pulse Generator (1ns)
- Hewlett Packard 3300A Function Generator
- Hewlett Packard 3585A 20Hz - 40Mhz Spectrum analyser digital
- HP Precision Power supply
- Hewlett Packard Function pulse generator analyser
SS-7611 (Lecroy) 100 mHz 4 ch/10 Ch Analogue Oscilloscope
DS-6121 (Lecroy) 200 mHz 2 ch/ Digital 20Gig Sample / Oscilloscope
- Fluke 23A 116Digital Voltmeter
- General Radio 1390B Random Noise Generator (20Khz ,500Khz, 5 Mhz)
- Phillips PM5321 0 to 110 MHz HF /AMwide band Generator
- Tektronix DSA 602A ( Digital Signal Analyzer ) 2Ghz Color
display Oscilloscope 12 Channel
- Tektronix RM529 Waveform monitor
T100 Analyser Noise and Distortion
- Siemens LF Sweeper Oscillator
- Weston 981-3
Tube Tester Ex Western Electric laboratory
Calibrated tests dual triodes without resetting switches.
- AWA Noise and Distortion meter
- Trio AG 202-A Audio Generator
- Sound Technologies 1000A Precision FM alignment Generator
- Precission Audio resistor test loads
- Vari-ac Variable A/C Power Transformer 2A
- 240V-240V Isolation Transformer
- DVD reference alignment disk
- CBS CD1 Alignment Disc
- Devon DVD 2200 Player
- Marantz CD 11Mkii Player
- Sony CDP101 Player
- AMC 2445 Power amplifier
This section describes one aspect of our design services: our approach to the design of loudspeaker systems. All designs we do are based on actual measured data, not models or manufacturerís curves. This is the only way to properly account for the effect on acoustic performance of cabinet size, baffle/driver geometry and bass driver loading. The complete design process consists of the following steps.
- Driver selection
- Enclosure design for best low-frequency response based on selected woofer free-air parameters
- Construction of a prototype enclosure
- Installation and testing of individual drivers for frequency response, acoustic phase centre and impedance in the prototype enclosure
- Performance of computer aided and computer optimised crossover network design using test data from step 4
- Construction of a prototype crossover followed by complete prototype system assembly and testing
- Listening evaluation and final voicing of the prototype system. This step is based upon our own listening experience and customer feedback.
- Preparation of a full report detailing the design process, all test data and a full set of system design specifications and drawings
- The prototype enclosure can be made with unfinished MDF. Building it is usually the customerís responsibility. This is more cost effective than paying us to build enclosures. While we are responsible for the acoustic aspects of enclosure design, these considerations will be integrated with our customerís aesthetic goals.
Based on our extensive software library of previous designs and our experience with a wide range of drivers from many manufacturers it is often possible to eliminate steps 6 and 7 for systems with less critical performance requirements. For the simplest of requirements a "computer only" design involving just steps 1 and 5 may be sufficient.
For each design the customer receives a written description of the system including all pertinent specifications, response curves an enclosure drawing and a crossover network circuit diagram and parts list.
By working cooperatively with our customers and limiting our efforts to what we do best, we can greatly reduce your costs and speed up the design process.
STONES SOUND STUDIO
- ARTISAN SPEAKERS
- SPEAKER KITS
- SPEAKER DESIGN
- PEERLESS SCAN SPEAK VIFA DAI-ICHI FOUNTEC RIBBON
MAIL ORDERS TO
- PO box 94 Tyalgum
- Ph 02 66 793059 - 02 66793555 ....Fax 02 66 793700
STONES SOUND STUDIO
TEST EQUIPMENT & FACILITIES